Are we being ripped off ?


How can we tell the difference between things that are expensive because they are naturally scarce, and things that are expensive because of artificial means - legislation,regulation or foul play ?

A company with stiff competition will be less profitable than a company with incompetent rivals.

Nobody is ripping anybody off; instead, Axel and Bob are being rewarded because they are offering something both scarce and highly valued.

Whatever the reason, the effect is the same: established companies, free of competition, enjoy high profits.

If I want to know whether I am being ripped off by supermarkets, banks or drug companies, I can find out how profitable those industries are.

If they are making high profits, then initially I am suspicious. But if it seems that it is fairly easy to set up a new company and compete, I become less suspicious.

It means that the high profits are caused by a natural scarcity: there are not many really good banking organisations in the world, and good banking organisations are much more efficient than bad ones.

此博客中的热门博文

Lee Shau Kee 李兆基

How To Use AI To Generate A Professional Marketing Brochure Using Just A Profile Photo and A Single Background Image

How To Use AI To Generate A Professional Video Clip Using Just A Single Product Image