2010-03-31

Opportunity, money and equality

Opportunity, money and equality
by Yap Mun Ching

http://www.thesundaily.com/article.cfm?id=44945

Money

My first salary with a multinational oil company in Malaysia amounted to RM2,200 a month. This was a decade ago and it was considered a decent starting pay. Nonetheless, I felt undervalued considering that my British classmate was offered a starting salary of £36,000 a year by a London investment bank. If my experience hiring an assistant two years ago is any indication, entry level conditions in Malaysia appear to have worsened. I was authorised by the HR department to offer RM2,000 a month for university graduates and RM1,800 a month for non-graduates.

Equality

An ex-colleague, L, was often teased for being the "Singapore-lover" among us. But from his perspective, "As a (Malaysian) Indian, I always felt discriminated against. We read outrageous statements in the press, we face quotas in many institutions. From my experience working in Singapore, it was just about merit. If you did well, they reward you well. That’s all I want." Who could blame him?


I decided to set up my company here because I relish the challenge of changing the system for the better ... I have so far resisted the temptation to move because I believe I have a stake in this country.

For policymakers concerned about our brain drain, the talent departure will continue unless there are committed and fruitful efforts to address the problems of opportunity, money and inequality. Malaysian society also has to realise that it has the responsibility to create the conditions for change, openness and acceptance. We have to stop channelling our youth towards big title, big money jobs but to appreciate the value of vocations in creative arts or social service. Most important of all, we have to realise that when we send the young to be educated in the most liberal of Western societies, there is no U-turn and it is no longer an option to put them back into societal straitjackets when they return.

Freespace @ The Sun Daily - WE believe that the young should have a say in how things are run, because they have everything at stake in our future.